Dog attack on Centennial today at 5.20pm

Today we came across 2 large dogs and their owners who i think are Eastern European. The dogs are 1 large husky, about 2 years old with light grey fur and the other dog is a husky/Malamut cross i think with a brown coat.

We have had issues with these dogs and owners before and asked them to leash their dogs as they are agressive from the start but they always ignore our requests. So now we stand between our dog and the large dogs. Today the Cross breed dog got around us and bit our dog on his rump area while the husky came from the front.

The owner did absolutely nothing to control their dogs as usual and left it up to us to distract the agessive dogs. so please look ut for these 2 dogs as at some point they will hurt or even kill another dog!

The Husky is called by the name Max i think.

We are taking our dog to the vet for a check up to make sure that the injury is not serious, 

Unacceptable... i walked kc regularly with my pup and forunatly never saw them .. its not the first time i here about these 2 dogs being agressive and their owner being jerks here on bhubble . Please let us know about the test result cause it would be scary if these dogs carry disese .. in that case actions must be taken .. sorry about your misadventure and hope your dog recovers well

Unacceptable... i walked kc regularly with my pup and forunatly never saw them .. its not the first time i here about these 2 dogs being agressive and their owner being jerks here on bhubble . Please let us know about the test result cause it would be scary if these dogs carry disese .. in that case actions must be taken .. sorry about your misadventure and hope your dog recovers well

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. I hope he is okay. Our dog has been attacked by Maxi before. I agree that the owners did very little to get their dog under control other than yell his name, which is why I think it is Maxi. A leash for that dog is a good idea, and some common sense/courtesy lessons for the owner wouldn't hurt either. I know it is easy for dog play to appear agressive sometimes, but this Maxi is not playing around, he just wants to dominate, and will bite to do it. Watch yourselves around him. Thanks for reporting this here. I think it is important that people are aware, because that owner is clueless!

Here's a cheap ultrasonic trainer that you can buy for about 40 bucks. It's easy to carry and dog *hate* it. I trained my old neighbour's dog to stop barking and running along the fence in about 3 uses, from across the fence.

The noise can be directed at an incoming dog. Your own dog may also hear it but it is directional. If you step in front of your dogs and use it, it should work great.

This is a nice non-harmful tool against dogs with lousy owners. Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Agree-Ultrasonic-Training-Aid/dp/B0009YUDVI/r...

That brownish malamut has gone after my dog too, luckily not to the point of drawing blood. My dog is aging and has back problems; this kind of agressive behaviour could be very detrimental for him. I think it's time to make a point of demanding these owners put this "Maxi" dog on leash and/or muzzled or face consequences of being reported to Animal Control.

It appears the owner/dog behaviour is continuous and ongoing. Please do not wait for another dog (or, perish the thought, human being) to get injured or killed. Report the owner to Animal Control.

Unfortunately, I have had numerous unpleasant encounters with these dogs and their owners on the trails. Every time their dogs try to attack or they become aggressive to my dog, yet, the humans remain oblivious and do nothing. It is really frustrating. I have heard of friend's dogs being attacked by these dogs. I'm not sure why they insist on walking on popular trails, unleashed/unmuzzled when they must know their dogs are aggressive? 

i Have run into these dogs once a week. I see them comming, I call my dogs and put them in a leash. Then the owners of the “problem” dogs do the same. We walk past each other, say hi and our dogs growl at each other and we go about our day. our first messy experience was our last. 

I walk KC and Moes quite often in the morning and haven't run into these people and their dogs yet. That said, I believe I have a good idea of who the people are. Can some clarify what these people what they look like for my dog's safety and so I don't do something that I will regret when I have an encounter? Is the male owner tall and lanky around 6.3+ and his partner around 5.6 with black long hair? 

I walk KC and Moes quite often in the morning and haven't run into these people and their dogs yet. That said, I believe I have a good idea of who the people are. Can some clarify what these people look like for my dog's safety and so I don't do something that I will regret when I have an encounter. Is the male owner tall and lanky around 6.3+ and his partner around 5.6 with black long hair? 

carry a good solid walking stick and swing for the nose when they come near you or your dog.

The dogs are not the problem, the owners are!

"carry a good solid walking stick and swing for the nose [of the dog owners] when they come near you or your dog."

weird? so many people on here have had bad experiences with these dogs and the owners and apparently, nobody remembers what the owners look like?? I don't get it? Don't you want to help other dog owners and their dogs avoid the same stress and vet bills that some of you have experienced??? I am not asking for names just a general description of the people...

The description above is accurate, I think descriptions of the dogs are more useful

anyway... there aren’t many red malamutes in Rossland and they just got a new dog. I’ve met them many many many times on Centennial over the years and when they first got Maxi or Moxy or whatever, he just wanted to sniff and play and the guy with the accent would always sharply yell at him to get away from other dogs. Poor socialization made that dog a bit of a nutcase. Then they got this lovely puppy and that dog was also yelled at and pulled away when trying to meet other dogs. Sounds like he’s picked up his owners’ neurosis. 

Centennial is where you let your dog learn to play well with others. If you, for some bizarre reason, want to train your dog to be an antisocial nutter, maybe find a trail that isn’t the most populous one in town? I dunno.

It's not the dogs fault. They act out according to how they're taught. But with the number of incidences I can't believe it's still happening. I feel sorry when dogs get the bad rap for questionable owners. :(

Thank you ikoric, yours and another private email confirms my suspicions. I can now try and avoid these people on the trails. If you want to avoid them, these people walk their dogs around 5pm most weekdays, not sure about the weekends. I have no intentions of reporting these people, which was the assumption the private emailer made. I only would if my dog was attacked, and only because there is a history of attacks and a complete I-don't-give-a-s**t that my dog is attacking your dog attitude.

Shocked at how little is/has been done given the ongoing problems.  At the very least, report it to bylaw, now that we finally have bylaw.  Hope these dogs don't come at ours or I'll serioulsy hurt them.  Yes, that's a threat.  I'll do whatever it takes to protect our dog.  I was bitten (to the point of drawing blood) while riding my bike TWICE last year in Rossland (not these dogs in question).  Not taking any more of this shit.

Seems to be , when walking the ones dog on centennial around the reservoir many signs says that dogs must be on a leash, could be wrong but I always walk my dog in that area on leash.....

Ohhhhhhhh !

mike and Ellen laying down some truth!

your move Rossland...

Unfortunately I am happy to add to everyone elses experiences. My dog too has been attacked more than once by the older of the two dogs, the darker colored one. The owner used to love to tell me that his dog won't hurt mine, that is until she was attacked. It was bad enough when they had one agressive dog, now they have two, and the younger one is at least as bad as the older. I don't get it, and the two owners appear to be clueless as others have mentioned. I have called them out enough, and they know me and my dog well enough now, that they will grab both dogs by the collar for us to pass one another while both of their dogs continue to be agressive towards mine. I am afraid of what will happen if the owners lose control of their two large dogs and the pack mentality sets in. The outcome will not be pretty. Unfortunately my dog has been attacked by many dogs in Rossland, even as she is trying her hardest to steer clear of all dogs she crosses paths with. She will stand her ground if necessary which I am happy about, but it makes for a dangerous situation in trying to break the fight up. Pulling dogs off mine is quite tiresome and truly should never be necessary. 

We have a bylaw officer in Rossland now who enforces the animal control bylaw.

Dog attacks have a $1000 fine associated with them. A first offense will likely receive a warning with further offenses being fined.

It's pretty simple if you want things to change, report it. Repeat offending dogs will be deemed dangerous and banned from being in public unless controlled on a leash, wearing a muzzle and with a person capable of restraining them.

If your dog is attacked by another dog, ask for the owner's name and address. Take photos of the injuries to your dog and take them into city hall.

Do it to protect not only yourself but also the other owner. The cost of a muzzle and walking an aggressive dog on a leash is far less than the costs associated with another dog's vet bills, or the cost (financially and emotionally) of putting your own dog down when it kills another dog.

“If nothing changes, nothing changes. If you keep doing what you're doing, you're going to keep getting what you're getting. You want change, make some.” ― Courtney C. Stevens

Totally agree with anikabee, you must report.  Don't just bitch about it on bhubble.  That is fun but won't get anything done.  :)