COVID measures at local boardshop

Just went into Rossland's local Boardshop to look for some shorts and support a local buisness. Shocked to find no signage, facemasks, cashier shields: not even a bottle of hand sanitiser!   This is especially an insult to Rossland's young people (their main customer base) and suggests that they don't care about social responsability.  I know this is far from the truth, so if you are a customer or just a young person who has sacrificed access to friends, school and the skate park to protect us all, I suggest you let them know how you feel about their contempt for public health and safety.

There is also zero social distancing hapoening at the brewery!

I was shocked and disappointed, and probably wont be going back during the pandemic. So unfoetunate that some businesses dont seem to care.

Wow guys...these businesses are finally up and running after months of being forced to close. They NEED business. I'm sure Everyone knows what is going on in the world right now so signage is kinda redundant.  if you don't feel comfortable shopping there, then don't...but don't do this. Some people are more comfortable with being out in the world than you and I might be.   

Completely agree with Charity

Can we please be kind and compassionate instead of shameful? There's way too much shame in the world right now. This could have been a private conversation with the owners rather than publicly shaming them. Lets lift each other up rather than bringing each other down.

It’s pretty simple: follow the directives as set out by Dr. Henry and her team, and there is less likelihood a business will get negative public reviews.  But yes to being kind with actions and words, and supporting our local businesses!  I’ve been impressed by many shops that are making very obvious efforts to protect their staff and customers.  What’s happening just south of the border is pretty alarming and all it takes is one person letting guard down to start an outbreak and get things shut down again.

Here's a headline from Newsweek posted this morning. Don't be naive or complacent or you are very much part of the problem!!

"The number of COVID-19 cases among children under the age of 10 in Oregon was more than five times greater at the end of June than it was one month earlier." Cases of kids under 10 are almost at the same rate as people over 80.

As a business owner in Rossland, I have spoken to various business owners about our concerns, responsibilities and requirements to be open, make a wage, pay staff, and provide our services/products to our clients/ customers/ patients etc. This is a challenging time for EVERYONE. We are all processing this differently. Unfortunately there is constantly changing info about this but we need to be more patient and adaptive to the changing recommendations. If we could all stop and think before we react, think about both sides of this situation. Yes business' and general public can be more thoughtful in our actions and reactions. We are mature, responsible humans who all want the best for ourselves and others. So far, not one client has been turned away for not complying with my requirements to provide a safe service. There are no mandates for my industry to provide services. I had to research and figure it out myself. I think other business' may be in the same boat. If you are uncomfortable with a situation, ask questions or bring your concerns to the person in charge. Signage is NOT redundant! people need  reminders. We can be busy and forgetful. This could be something we will be doing for a long time. Get used to it!

I would like to publicly thank all my clients who supported me regarding the closure and re-opening of the business.

With gratitude,

Tennille @ RedTop BarberShop

I see many people getting complacent more each day. We have felt safe in Rossland because people cared for others as well as themselves. Unfortunately, I see this diminishing by, not all, but way to many people.

Cherish what we have done to stay safe and do not back off with our protection. One outbreak will have significant negative out comes for both individuals and businesses.

I suggest YOU let them know TGomez instead of bringing this up to a public social media platform. If you have an issue with it, speak up to the people you have an issue with.

They sanitize the shop with disinfecant daily and wipe down door knobs after every customer! And they even have a hand washing station for people with good attitudes and positive vibes! The employee is immune compromised so they work harder than you know to keep the store sanitized!! But maybe if you weren't full of assumptions and asked for a hand cleaning station instead of sanitizer (have you not heard of super bugs)

Also if wearing a cloth mask protects 0% against the virus...

If everyone wears a mask (or even a buff or bandana), it is still very protective - nearly 100% if both parties are wearing a mask (covering both nose and mouth) and not touching.  Wearing a mask tells people you care enough, and are not so arrogant to believe you could not be unknowingly carrying and spreading the virus before symptoms appear. Just talking and breathing spreads droplets you can’t see.  It’s increasing in numbers and community spread is happening before anyone knows it.  Just look at the recent outbreak in Kelowna.  It could have easily been here.  This disease is new, but so far much worse than influenza and could have long term chronic effects in young people as well.  Clotting in organs, lungs and the brain, ie. strokes is a feature of this disease.  

The best way to protect this immunocompromised employee: wear a mask and of course wash your hands. 

Please protect everyone else as well. For they may be caring for and interacting with vulnerable people.

sunnydayz, tell that to the countless amount of people I see, 5 or 6 people stuffed in a truck with their bikes hanging out the back, going to Centennial. No masks, no nothing. 

Those people could be living together or that is there "bubble" that they have deemed safe for themselves. 

Masks are 0% effective if people dont wash their damn hands ffs

im less worries about people wearing masks than I am of people not sanitizing or washing their hands tbh

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/prevention-risks/masks

Yes wash hands!  However....

Masks covering nose and mouth are effective at protecting other people from your invisible droplets.  And can reduce your own risk when used properly and combined with other measures.  Washing your own hands after touching potentially contaminated surfaces is how to protect yourself from those who don’t wash their hands.  But there is little you can do to be safe from a person who is not wearing a mask and is standing within 2 metres (Unless you are wearing medical mask and eye shield, and properly trained in how to safely don and doff it).  Think of masks like underwear - don’t touch them when wearing them in public, and don’t go commando!

Assume everyone not in your bubble could be a carrier, with or without symptoms (Of course still be friendly and not afraid to socialize at a distance)

Yes those riders may be people who have formed a small safe bubble to enjoy shredding together.  But if you are shuttling with people outside your bubble (against Dr.Henry recommendations), then please don’t.  Riding uphill is fun!