Dog on Nancy Greene hwy

There was a black and white dog (maybe boarder collie) on the highway to Nancy green about 2 

km past red mountain about 20 minutes ago. It would not come to either of the cars that pulled over. hopefully he is on his way home, but thought I would share if anyone is missing a dog

It must live up that way; I've seen a couple of posts in the past week or two about this dog...

He lives on Richie rd. He's a boarder collie/husky. His boarder collie side makes him chase and herd things and his husky side makes him not know how to go home. Super nice owner, has a gps collar on him. unfortunatly he escapes now and then. hope he survives the winter.

Both malemute and husky breeds are born to run. Neither of these breeds should ever be left off leash to run in fields, woods, or neighborhoods (this was said to me by a long time husky breeder). They will keep on running and in all likelihood, just won't come back. It's not that they don't know how to go home; their genes are such that they don't "want" to go home. That's why when you see pictures of dog sledders and people who own them up North, these types of dogs are always tied up when outside. Otherwise they would all be gone. They are known wanderers and runners and unfortunately a GPS collar won't prevent them from getting hit by a car or getting into an altercation with an animal that could do them severe harm or kill them. When in the Okanagan several years ago I walked with a fellow who had found out the hard way....he had a husky that he would let loose "to run" in Kal Park at times (despite it having signs to keep your dog on a leash), and on one occasion after the dog had been gone  several days he went looking for him and eventually found the body. It had no obvious signs of trauma so he had his vet check him out to see if there was signs of poisoning or anything else people walking their dogs in that park should be made aware of.  The vet told him his dog had a broken back and a couple of broken ribs, probably the result of being stomped or kicked by a deer or pack of deer that inhabit that park. Hard lesson to learn....especially for the poor dog.