Garbage, Spokane & Planer

Dear upper Rossland resident,

Hi, I'm Betty Bear. We've never met, yet, but I just want to extend a huge thanks to you for leaving your plastic garbage bin out last night. There sure were some tasty treats in it, the leftover Bouillon was to die for! Well, if I keep it up they might be but let's just wait and see..... mmmmmm, OK. Please though, try to up your garbage game. The quality was sub-standard, the kids and I found the majority of contents highly unappetizing to the point of being unedible. Tsk-tsk. The funny thing is we got bored so went all CSI on it, minus the black light..... ewwwwww. We did find a few items with your name on them and are tempted to post it on Bear Bhubble (oh yeah, we gots one too!) so every bear in town knows who to call for a late night snack. But no, we'll just keep it our little secret for now and be back for another feed tonight.

Love & cuddles,

Betty Bear and cubs 

Hi..I'm relatively new to town, but am aware of the new garbage bylaw that was pased last year..

Anyone know how the city is enforcing this? I also have a neighbour that leaves garbage out unlidded.

Thanks

Post their name. Obviously the polite way of trying to fix the problem isn't working. It's time for some brutal reality. And I can't see too many reasons why the city doesn't enforce it and fine people, besides not wanting to ruffle any feathers, but isn't that the same as turning your head the other way. I don't get it. Just sad to see it's the bears that always suffer and lose because of our stupidity. 

@ Matthew Jones welcome to Rossland. Having a lid on your plastic or cheap aluminium trash can isn't going to stop a bear, dogs and crows yeah, but not a bear. Think bear proof bins bolted to the ground. People allowing their dogs to roam the city and getting into people's trash, well that's another issue. The first problem is that some people like to put their trash can out during the night when bears are more likely to be roaming the streets.  Sure, fine those bear killers. The second problem is that people have composting bins, stop composting people you are attracting bears to the city, and are you really using the compost for your garden, really. The third problem is that people have fruit trees and don't pick the fruit and then complain about bears?? seriously? Bears are going to be attracted to the city regardless of what we do, there are just too many attractants here, but we can reduce the number of bears by using our brains. 

@D

With respect, there are ways to  compost without attracting bears. We have an electric fencer surrounding ours. This morning a curious young bear learned an important lesson about said fencer. WildSafe BC has some good info. https://wildsafebc.com/electric-fencing

@D

With respect, there are ways to  compost without attracting bears. We have an electric fencer surrounding ours. This morning a curious young bear learned an important lesson about said fencer. WildSafe BC has some good info. https://wildsafebc.com/electric-fencing

Little confusion here. I'm D and posted the first reply that said "post their name", not sure who the other poster is thats claiming to be "D" talking about bear proof bins. Hopefully bhubble can fix that. Thanks.

Composting in a bear-proof manner is all about maintenance. We don't have an electric fence around ours, and we use a 3 bin system. We make a ton of compost, and REALLY we use it for our garden.

Everybody in this community should be composting. Everyone. Every single person. Have any idea how much waste we redirect from the landfill? Tons.

Composting doesn't EQUAL bears. I'm frustrated that this misconception is prevalent through town.

Sharon Weider, our past WildsafeBC rep, always taught people "maintenance first". We don't even have lids on our compost bins!! Bears aren't interested.

Speaking of compost.... it would be absolutely EPIC if the City of Rossland utilized some of the expansive city land that is sitting unused to create a community compost centre. Imagine the food waste we would re-use! No more purchasing crappy synthetic fertilizers for all of the plants around town. Heck, they could even sell it as a source of revenue. Better yet, start maintaining all of the fruit trees on city land, fertilize with city generated compost, produce epic fruit, and use that as a source of revenue. The opportunities to embrace green initiatives in this community abound, yet we're miles behind most other Kootenay communities in this regard. Shame.

@Jen - Great you have an electric fence around your compost pile, the problem is your rotting food waste is still attracting bears to the city.

You can't complain about bears in the city or when they are shot if you do the following:

1. Leave your garbage out at night

2. Have a composting pile of any sort

3. Have fruit trees 

@D (who's not me) It seems Bhubble allows multiple same name user names and since I seniority over you, I guess you should change your name.

Sorry D, you're wrong about the compost :) :) :)

alpine.edibles  - if you aren't already, maybe you should take it upon yourself to educate the city about composting your way if what you are saying is true, that bears aren't interested in your compost. Because I would hazard a guess most people are just using a composting pile or one of those cheap plastic composting bins. 

Hey D, We also have a 3 bin open air compost set up in our backyard to help top up our garden every year. If done properly, it doesn't attract bears. Have never had a problem with bears getting into it, no signs of them digging around in it, no damage, nothing. I see them walk past it on their route all the time. They don't even stop. They have no interest in what is in there at all. 

From the real "D"... I've been using that name for 5 years, but I'll try and change it, not worth getting stressed out and having a jammer over. Hope you enjoy the letter D. lol. Have a great day!!

BoJanggles great, but you are still the minority.
@D.W LOL sounds like you were getting stressed about it, but that's ok. Have a great day also :)

Wasn't stressed, just wanted to make sure I wasn't sleepwalking and surfing bhubble, and writing things I wasn't aware of. It's all good. The main message is "co-exist". Humans and wildlife getting along and no one (animal) gets harmed. And btw- lets not put all the blame on the bears, I saw a raccoon the other night carrying some trash. And maybe we could ask Trump, maybe its just all fake news... lol

D - much like anti-vaxxers, you seem to be really keen to share your unscientific viewpoint with people who know what their talking about from education and experience. I have one of those "crap plastic compost bins" and while bears spend a great deal of time in my neighbour's apple pile, they haven't come into my compost.

I agree that the main problem is the overnight garbage. People just need to get up in the morning and get it out - if you're working nigh shift, figure it out with your neighbour. Lots of bears already this year - let's not be responsible for their deaths. 

@ikoric  A few houses up from where you live on the day I posted my opinion one of those crap black plastic composting bins was knocked over by a bear. Yes, I am not an expert, but I have seen on numerous occasions bears in the composting piles at the bottom of snake trail, had bears in my own black composting bin, which I don't use anymore because I got sick of bears getting into it. And honestly, I just wasn't into composting that much anyway, to begin with. But it doesn't take an expert to know that fruit trees, leaving your garbage out at night and composting the way the majority of people in Rossland are composting, from what I have seen, attract bears. That was my point. Attracting bears to the city isn't a good thing.

Bears eat (almost) anything. Arguing about not having bear attractants is pointless. They will still find food in the city. They will eat garbage, compost, and fruits from trees because they prefer that, but they will eat dandelions too. Are we going to get our knickers in a knot because people let their lawn grow dandelions?  The only pain about bears getting into garbage is the mess they leave to clean up (usually in someone else's yard or on forest trails). I have a compost pile they occasionally root around in - I couldn't care less. They will come through my yard anyway. But I do care if they drag over a garbage bag and tear it open in my yard.

Bears eat (almost) anything. Arguing about not having bear attractants is pointless. They will still find food in the city. They will eat garbage, compost, and fruits from trees because they prefer that, but they will eat dandelions too. Are we going to get our knickers in a knot because people let their lawn grow dandelions?  The only pain about bears getting into garbage is the mess they leave to clean up (usually in someone else's yard or on forest trails). I have a compost pile they occasionally root around in - I couldn't care less. They will come through my yard anyway. But I do care if they drag over a garbage bag and tear it open in my yard.