huge implications for Rossland?

Anyone else see in the news that a mining company just bought almost 8000 acres of land for $750 million just outside of Rossland for a huge deposit of magnesium? Just wondering if anyone has any input on how this will impact the town.

link to where you read it?

This speculation has been going on for years. That is not to say development will never happen but it seems likely that it will take a senior mining company to ever move this project forward. The price of magnesium would have to rise significantly for that to happen.

Why would this not be good? it would boost economy , put lots of money into area . Mining in 2017 is a lot different than it was back in 1960. The one thing this town needs is industry and someone to help pay our outrages taxes.

"West High Yield’s CEO Frank Marasco said in an interview Thursday that the financial backer of the deal wanted to stay anonymous."

Follow the money... 

"West High Yield’s CEO Frank Marasco said in an interview Thursday that the financial backer of the deal wanted to stay anonymous."

Follow the money... 

Rob34:  I totally agree. I just find the numbers being thrown around staggering. $750,000,000.00 for the land which will produce 47 Billion $ worth of magnesium - a 3000 year supply!!!

Kevin Dingle: I'm not sure what your point is?

Ah yes, there's a mind well trained by the private propaganda in our speculation economy. Why not let them mine, it would be a boost to the economy! There are no local benefits to extracting the unrefined resources that get shipped out of the country. The enormous responsibilities left for future generations would be so special. There’s a much larger scenario in Canada getting rave economic reviews where a similar system is ignorantly supported.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for this claim to benefit the economy. Speculation, or gambling, actually extracts value from the economy.

Here’s a quote from their website: The company is focused on assembling a portfolio of low risk, high reward properties at the exploration stage and developing them so as to maximize shareholder value… As you can see Spearmint is well positioned to potentially have significant corporate growth in the short and long term.​

No mention about local economic benefits, impact on future generations or attempts to reduce energy consumption.

Just leave things as they are. Personally I'm tired of the constant raping and pillaging of land. Once it starts its difficult to stop.