Any experience using clover for your lawn?

I have about a 300sqft area of grass in upper Rossland, its quite south exposed and surrounded by a rock wall which adds heat and dryness. Looking for options to reduce water use. (We currently waste water as it just dries out too quickly) Wondering if anyone has experience using clover to combat this. Or any other suggestions are helpful.

Thanks,

Tennille

Bears love clover.

to clarify, we're looking at microclover, which you cut keeping it short, and will also keep it from blooming which is the part that the bears love.  Supposed to be hardier than grass.  Anyone out there have experience with microclover in Rossland as a grass replacement?  (seeding into existing grass with success)

Yes I spread clover seed amongst patchy grass and the clover stays green when the grass has turned golden.   Good for the bees also!

Thanks Gas. Did you try the micro clover? How many seasons ago? And is it taking over more if the grassy areas? Is it in a sunny or shady area? Does it require much water?

Hello Gas,

I, too, have clover seed that I never had time to plant last year. Is it just good enough to spread it by hand on the grass, and that's it? Won't birds, ants eat it? Is it warm enough to do it now?

Cheers.

We started using clover seeds last spring (Mid-May) to fill in patchy areas with great results. I think it was White Clover. We roughed up the dirt a little, sprinkled seeds by hand and it sparted sprouting in a few days and was full size in a few weeks. I think we soaked the ground once a week but otherwise didn't wate it much

Thanks for this post Teenie, and the comments everyone, I am looking forward to trying clover seed.

white clover isn't attractive to bears and it is great.. Just watch out for bees barefoot in the summer

I'm having a discussion with others about media, and trusting information. Without the details as to why, it is very difficult for me to accept as fact suggestions given by someone with a pseudonym, who does not have stated qualifications, and does not cite a source. Not referring to all posts above, only some, and yes, it's only about clover, but the principle remains. Because I said so, works some of the time, but not always.

Thanks for your principled response about clover, Carol.  My wife and I shall take your overqualified response under advisement.

Exactly.

We're talking about bears right? I guess it's a matter of trust: who, when and how. Nobody likes trouble with them or for them to be shot.

We seeded our lot with clover after new home contruction three years ago, the lot is too steep to mow.  Our soil is pretty sandy with some clay but the clover took really well.  I find in the summer drought it needs to be watered once a week, any area's I didn"t water had near 50 percent loss.  The bears never hang out and eat, they prefer the grass in the lot next door.  This is the time of year we seeded, once it germinates just make sure it doesn't dry right out.  When the plants are larger they survive the dry spells better.  Mitchells in Castlegar sells bulk white clover seed (and grass seed too).  I'd call ahead and make sure its in stock.  Good luck!

Thought I would add, the white clover seed is available at Home Hardware in Trail. They don't have any on the shelves but you can order it in 500 g or 1k sizes. I ordered some yesterday and it should be here in a week.

We planted our back yard with micro clover last year and I overestimated how much seed I needed.  I have 1kg of micro clover seed for sale. Each 500g bag sells for $90 at West Coast Seeds https://www.westcoastseeds.com/products/microclover-seed.  Asking $50 / 500 g bag.

Call or text 250-231-1022 if interested. 

Seeds are all sold now. 

i planted a mixture of clover and microclover and the bears loved sitting in my lawn and eating the clover flowers!

If you keep it cut short you will avoid the flowers (so it shouldnt attract the bears) but then it requires more watering.

I bought mine I HH.  Bears do not eat normal grass as far as I know ( which is in my back garden) but they certainly like the clover flowers of my front garden! 

I have a grass/white clover mix in my yard.   It's great as the clover stays green longer than the grass.  No bears in the yard eating it.  Just be careful in bare feet as the bees love it