PCR Covid test in the West Kootenays

The US border is open if you’re vaccinated but to come back home one needs to take a PCR Covid test within 72 hours of entering Canada. Anybody know where such a test can be taken locally? Closest clinic in Canada I could find is in Kelowna....Alternatively, any ideas on how to transport my mother in law from Spokane International Airport to Rossland? Thanks!

Kelowna, Calgary, Vancouver, or the States are your only options for a PCR test unfortunately. Since your MIL will also need a negative test to cross into Canada (if she doesn't have one already), it probably makes sense to get a test in the States and spend a night in a hotel before coming back to Canada...

Hi, I crossed the border in September (dual citizen.) (No, I am not the mayor.) Coming back was a nightmare - it is not easy to get a PCR test in Spokane. Took me 3 days to find someone who would even give me a test (at a cost of $200) and the labs said they don't guarantee returning the test result until 3-4 days (although if you are lucky, you might get them in 24 hours, but you can't depend on that.) If it is 4 days, you have to start all over with a new test, because you can't meet the 72 hour deadline (you have to cross the border within 72 hours of being tested which results are negative.) Best thing for you MIL is to get a test in her home town before she gets on the plane. Not from her doctor - the lab sends the results to the doc, not the person. So she should check and get it from Rite Aid or simlar, who emails the results to the patient.  Same for you - get it here if you can. (Ask Interior Health or the KIRO wellness centre in Trail.) If you both get your results (negative of course) so that you can zip down there, pick her up at the airport, zip home within the 72 hour limitation, that's best. Or wait until the Canadian government drops that restriction. If they do.  I don't know if they are still requiring you go through the AvCan process, but those are more hoops. Keep checking the government websites: things can change at the drop of a hat. 

https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/menu-eng.html

Please please I beg people to not use the local testing centre through interior health for travel related tests.  We are swamped as it is.  Your test will go to bccdc unless u are a healthcare worker which can take up to 72 hours to come back.  We are receiving hundreds of samples daily and are completely overwhelmed.  If u start clogging up the system with travel related tests it will slow down testing of actual sick people which I reiterate can take up to 72 hours as it is so really is not a good plan.

Canada accepts NAAT tests. You can get the results same day at Walgreens, the are free. You can also get a PCR test for free at any Walgreens. I have never had one take any longer than 48 hours. Ive done over 20 of those.Those are drive through. You can pay to get one done at urgent care on airway heights near the airport. Also...Amazon's mail in PCR tests I have had my results back from drop off at UPS to my email in 20 hours. Those are like $30 I think. 

@16paws I've looked at Amazon and there are none of those tests available. I presume you are a resident or citizen of the USA as from my inquiries it seems Walgreens requires that generally despite the recent press to the contrary. But, hey, thanks for any hints you can offer!

CBC News interviewed 6 Canadians who got free tests at a U.S. pharmacy or clinic

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/free-test-u-s-1.6242844

Canadian citizen with a US visa for work. Have used my BC driver's licence when I've been asked for ID, which was about 25% of the time. Any ID works! Also, use Amazon.com, not .ca and it should be next day delivered to a US address..hotel or whatever. But walgreens is super easy and I've never had a problem...have used it in several different states.

My three-day saga also included trying to get the free tests at Walgreens or Rite Aid in the Spokane area. They were scheduling eight days out, and most importantly you had to prove you were a Washington State resident. (The State of Washington has a webpage that lists testing locations and they also say you must be a WA state resident to get the free test, so I belive the state at least partially pays for these tests.) So at least in WA, at least at that point, it was not as easy as the article linked above indicates. Delta infection rates were increasing rapidly and testing sites were overwhelmed.  I had an appointment at one clinic for a test in the afternoon, and they emailed me that morning telling me that due to circumstances beyond their control, they were closed and to try another of their clinics (for-profit health care: it is like a franchise.) I quickly drove 20 minutes to another, stood in line outside for an hour, and when I got to the desk, she said "Oh I am sorry, we got an email this morning from HQ telling us we are no longer testing travellers, we are too swamped with requests. We are just testing people with symptoms and health care workers." I had looked into getting a test in Montana ahead of time and they would not give them to travelers anywhere, free or not. Probably some of this depends on what state you are in, and when (are you there when cases are low, high, growing or dropping.) The entire experience was highy unpleasant; I spent three extra days trying to get a test in Spokane I was not planning on; and the uncertainty made me unwilling to cross the border again until (and if) they drop this testing requirement. All to say: don't expect easy sailing and do your homework in advance.

My three-day saga also included trying to get the free tests at Walgreens or Rite Aid in the Spokane area. They were scheduling eight days out, and most importantly you had to prove you were a Washington State resident. (The State of Washington has a webpage that lists testing locations and they also say you must be a WA state resident to get the free test, so I belive the state at least partially pays for these tests.) So at least in WA, at least at that point, it was not as easy as the article linked above indicates. Delta infection rates were increasing rapidly and testing sites were overwhelmed.  I had an appointment at one clinic for a test in the afternoon, and they emailed me that morning telling me that due to circumstances beyond their control, they were closed and to try another of their clinics (for-profit health care: it is like a franchise.) I quickly drove 20 minutes to another, stood in line outside for an hour, and when I got to the desk, she said "Oh I am sorry, we got an email this morning from HQ telling us we are no longer testing travellers, we are too swamped with requests. We are just testing people with symptoms and health care workers." I had looked into getting a test in Montana ahead of time and they would not give them to travelers anywhere, free or not. Probably some of this depends on what state you are in, and when (are you there when cases are low, high, growing or dropping.) The entire experience was highy unpleasant; I spent three extra days trying to get a test in Spokane I was not planning on; and the uncertainty made me unwilling to cross the border again until (and if) they drop this testing requirement. All to say: don't expect easy sailing and do your homework in advance.

I just did one at Walgreens with my BC ID in Spokane last week without issue. Just msg me directly, I will help you not do it the wrong way!

I am a US citizen and Canadian PR. Crossed the border at Paterson in August after a trip to visit family. I had a very similar nightmare scenario to Snowisgood - got one PCR test in New England at a Rite-Aid, but that didn't come back within the 72 hour limit. I also ran around Spokane like a headless chicken going to walk-in clinics and pharmacies and such, but none would guarantee quick enough turnaround times, or wouldn't give me a test at all. All Walgreens, Rite-Aids, etc. were booked out at least a week. Ended up spending almost 3 extra days running around between Spokane and Northport - not fun. Ultimately got a test from the hospital in Colville that had results within 12 hours. If you don't have US health insurance, it's about $200 USD. Happy to answer any questions if you want to message me directly. 

I just got back from a week in the US, and both border crossings were flight-based.

I got a Rapid Antigen in Kelowna to meet the requirements of US Customs. And I got a PCR test from a private clinic in the US prior to returning in order to meet Canada Customs requirements and also fill out the details required for the ArriveCan app. 

When I landed in Calgary International I was randomly pulled from the line to get another PCR test. This process was run by Switch Health, and requiring an ASMO app. That entire process was a gong show.

My advice, if your trip is important and you don't have the luxury of hoping to get a spot... pre-book everything. Travel during Covid restrictions is more difficult than you might imagine, set yourself up for as much success as you can prior to your trip.