COVID tests in the US to be able to fly back to Canada? Any recent experience??

Random COVID-related question that probably shouldn't spark any arguments....

I have a British Columbian friend who's been in the States for a while (family stuff).  They're looking to get their vehicle (which is in the BC interior) down to Washington state and can't easily make the trek up north to grab their car, and then drive it back down south.  I'd be potentially interested in driving it down myself, if I knew I could relatively easily get back into Canada right away.

I've been hearing that COVID tests (PCR and NAAT included) can sometimes be had for free, and some with relatively quick result times too!  This apparently (sometimes) applies to anyone - not just US citizens; but it is very much dependent on where you were in the US.  Big pharmacies like Walgreens or CVS, or even little guy mom n' pop pharmacies are reporting to have done these tests for travellers.

Quick google searching makes me think it would be difficult to get a quick, free COVID test in Spokane, but in Seattle, it might be easier.  I've got a regular old day-job, so I'd only have 3 or 4 days off to work with, and really couldn't just end up stuck down in the States because of a logistical COVID testing issue.  Or, even worse, if I somehow caught the 'vids whilst being down there, and then had to deal with the delay/potential illness involved in trying to make my way back up north via an aeroplane.

Anyone have any recent experience with this sort of COVID-testing conundrum?  Specifically, for trying to get tests done in Spokane or Seattle?

Photos: 

A less stressful option is to order an RT-Lamp test from switchhealth.ca. Accepted at the border (have used) and you can choose when to do it (even before you go across if going for <72hours). I've had a few free pharmacy tests and they are rarely rapid and you have to wait a few days for results which can be stressful if the labs are backed up. The RT-LAMP costs $150 CAD but RT-PCR can easily cost more in the US and Spokane has limited options. Less risk having your test lined up before you go If you can't accept any delays in returning home. 

Thanks for that suggestion, Fishy. Didn't know those were a thing. Not nearly as cheap as a free one, but if they're legit, then that definitely let's you plan your trip timeline a bit better. Especially if you're flying or driving back from somewhere like Spokane, rather than a bigger metro area where you might have a better chance of finding free, reasonably-timed tests.

Carbon Health is another option - USD190 or thereabouts per test and their test facility at Portland airport is super efficient (need appointments - make it on the carbon health website) and tests done in the afternoon are in your inbox by 2am the same night. Seattle's Carbon health sites are more stressed by numbers and may have longer queues but results are in pretty quickly and efficiently.

There's mention (unverified) of a testing centre in Colville but I'm not sure where and how quick the results are available.

Be sure to chose only MOLECULAR tests which Canada accepts at the present.

No worries Jeffro, just a note that they are 100% legit and both myself and a few colleagues have had no issues using them for return to Canada in recent months. 

Thanks folks.

And yea for sure, would only do PCR or NAAT tests.

The last time I was in the US my PCR test (Walgreens) didn't come back in 72 hours so I got a rapid RNA test from Franklin Park Urgent Care in Spokane. It took 30 minutes and cost around $190 US. Pricey, but quick turnaround and accepted at the border. No appointment needed, but I showed up when they opened to get in and out quickly.

https://www.fpucc.com/