Bylaw vehicle

Anybody notice the new bylaw vehicle in Rossland.  Fancy new EV Ford Mustang.  Now while I'm all for cutting emissions and making a greener footprint for our community, I have to admit I have a few questions about this.

As I understand in recent past the City has contracted out bylaw enforcement to Selkirk Security for a limited amount of days during the week and they've supplied their own vehicle.  As I understood this was done because it was determined that paying for a full time bylaw officer wasn't in the budget for the city. Hence contracting the position out to a part time capacity.  But now the city can afford to provide a brand new EV for bylaw enforcement?

So, does the city actually own the vehicle or is it priavtely owned by the person(s) carrying out the bylaw duties?  If the city does provide the vehicle, is it onwed or leased?  If the city is providing the vehicle for bylaw enforcement would there not be a more affordable option than a Ford Mustang EV priced at $55k?  As mentioned I'm all in for reducing emmissions, for a job poistion that requires a person to drive around town it makes a lot of sense to go electric, I just feel that as a taxpayer in this town I would like to see more affordable options explored.

Then again I could be mistaken on this whole thing, just thought I'd check to see if anybody has more info before I email Kathy Moore asking the same questions.

Rossland rethinking electric vehicle purchase - Rossland News

Leased... Rossland decided they needed something fully electric and AWD which limits the selection to more premium options.

Seems unneccesary to me as well, is the +$30,000 price tag of the Mach E over other EV options really worth more to taxpayers than <$200 for tire chains/shovel + some extra working time?

Maybe taking that 30K and boosting the snow removal budget by 5-7% would mean safer roads for all, and not just one driver?

Rossland is a small town, seems like a PHEV (typically 50-80km battery-only range) would suffice, especially considering how often I see that Mach E just sitting parked down at city hall. 

The City has had a full time Peace Officer doing bylaw enforcement / animal control for the past year. Vehicle is owned by the City & has been in the fleet for over a year - nice intel. Sounds like Council considered a long term option where EV's are more cost efficient... almost like the OP hasn't seen the price of gas LOL

Yep, August 9, 2021 Council meeting minutes suggest they ended up purchasing for $64K. 

Even more than I first thought.  Anybody else feel like this is excessive spending for a car that just does laps around town?

I feel that a full time Bylaw Officer is over kill and a waste of money. If I am wrong, is there that much wrong going on in this small city that I am not awhere off. Do we get a bang for our buck when you figure in the overall loaded rate such as salary, benefits etc.

I thought that was the original reasoning of not having a full time postion, it wasn't affordable for the city's budget.  But I guess with property values going through the roof the city has found itself with extra income to pay a full time postion and also purchase a $65k vehicle for them as well.  But just think of all the revenue from all the parking tickets and off leash fines.  What a joke.

The Bylaw is shared with Warfield, it's all in the council meetings

Rossidog, recent change? Warfield website seems to suggest Selkirk Security for their bylaw enforcement...

Don't have the interest to dig into any more Rossland council mtgs, but wouldn't be surprised if Warfield doesn't update their website particularly promptly.

Bylaws | Village of Warfield

Update: Could've taken 2 seconds to google this before posting, which suggests it is in fact a recent change to a collaborative Rossland/Warfield bylaw enforcement.

That makes sense to split the job between the two communities.  I still think the vehicle they chose to buy is excessive and they could've sourced a more affordable option than an AWD electric sports car.

Also in the council minutes, the funds to support a full time bylaw officer and all the costs associated for 2-3 years were covered by the BC Provincial Covid Restart Funds awarded to all communites and regions in January 2021.

Again, the increased assessed value of your homes does not translate into additional revenue for the city, unless the city adjusts the budget. 

Bylaw coverage has been shared with Warfield for almost a year.

The cost and benefits of the Mach EV were well debated by council, along with other vehicle options, and the report was sent back to staff for additional research before the decision was made.

All in the council agendas and minutes, if anyone cares to look, and provide timely comments and concerns.

Poor form from Dstrelioff... Most of the concerns are moot and could have been understood with any research. You care about what the city is doing? Go to meetings and read the minutes.

Please Dstrelioff, what car should the city have bought? Requirements established were AWD and EV.

Dump trucks cruising back n forth, full size gas powered trucks transporting bicycles and e-bikes, getting an expensive electric vehicle that I too see parked at City Hall more than driving, is just crazy. 

Pretty sure a lot revolves around the "look at me" factor. Tourists might see it as a "ooooh , check it out, what a smart community", while lots of locals are just thinking "wtf?!?" 

First off I'll admit I'm only assuming the car is AWD. It's not required to drive in the winter in Rossland. I'm pretty sure the majority of vehicles in Rossland are front wheel drive, they do just fine in the snow, just ask my parents in their 70's that have driven FWD year round in Rossland for three decades. Also Selkirk Security used their own FWD car. If you NEED 4wd in the winter you NEED driving lessons.

So Just for fun..

Nissan Leaf $27K

Chevy Bolt $31K

Mazda MX 80 $33K

Hyundai Kona $34K

I'm going to assume that these are American prices, but on the same website the Mustang EV starts at $42k.  So yes, all of these would have been more affordable, fully usable options.

I pay taxes in this town and I voted for elected offiicials.  If I have a concern about how my tax money is spent, I can ask questions, if I don't like the answer, I can bitch about it.

I also started thus post to gather information and see if anyone else in the community knew any details before I bothered emailing anyone.  I stated this clearly in the first post.  And lo and behold look at the information that came forward!  It worked! Open discussion to gather information and voice opinions worked!  But okay, poor form for asking questions to the community instead of combing through city council minutes, you got me there.  Well done.  Gold star for you.

A basic Google search would outline the wide scope of duties of a bylaw enforcement officer.. can't go to court without doing paperwork at the office. Glad someone is here to address illegal AirBnBs, businesses, and people storing junk on the road but alas, tough job dealing with some of these clowns no doubt. 

Dstrelioff, I think if you want to gather information, the city is probably the best place, not a discussion board.  And if you want to rant about something, best to inform yourself before.  You could have picked up the phone and called city hall.  Or emailed.  They will get you more accurate information than random people's opinions or secondhand information.  People that have the answers you're looking for (ie city staff) would probably rather answer a direct query, while at work, than spend their time on forums looking to see how they could correct people's misconceptions.

You vote for elected officials to do the decision making.  If you're unsure how they came to their decision or why, then you should ask them.  And then you can voice an informed disapproval (or approval).

I'm sure the city can inform you of reason for the purchase of the car, and they might be able to provide you details on how they came to their purchase decision (I'm guessing tender to various dealerships).  All EV cars aren't always available, so the choice may have been limited.

I for one am quite happy that if they needed a vehicle, that they purchased an EV.  Despite the upfront sticker price (and they may get a deal below MSRP) of EV's they provide a cost saving over the life of the vehicle due to lower maintenance and operation costs.  And the obvious environmental reasons.

I also started thus post to gather information and see if anyone else in the community knew any details before I bothered emailing anyone.  I stated this clearly in the first post.  And lo and behold look at the information that came forward!

AKA being lazy af.

Your opinion about front wheel drives is irrelevent. Everyone and their mom knows AWD would be more efficient and safer year round. Except your mom, I guess. People used to eat lead pain chips in the 70s to...

I guess that's good to go because "that's how we used to do it" Never have I hear a more entitled or out of touch take. Boomer on.