Communities of Opportunities Creates Resilience

Supportive family networks and other resources are essential for developing young people’s health and wellness. In Rossland, both the Seven Summits Centre for Learning and the Youth Action Network (YAN), provide an environment of inclusion to support teens’ health, growth, and resilience. One example of responsive programming such as this is the Queer Club hosted by the YAN. 

“I direct and run the Queer Club as a volunteer interested in providing an interactive club with interesting content,” says Leo Brown, a Grade 10 student at Seven Summits. “I felt it was necessary to step up and create a fun, inclusive club for young people to feel included and respected regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, culture, and personal beliefs.  I really found myself growing up in that group, and I felt it was time to give back and let kids feel just as safe as I have.” 

Brown continues, “A lot of these kids spend most of their time with their guard up, and having to be brave in order to exist, whether they feel brave or not. I want to give kids a place to let the world fall away and to simply do arts and crafts with their friends without the weight of the world on their shoulders. Resilience is important, but it can also be exhausting. It cannot exist without acceptance, and they need to know that it’s out there.” 

Brown explains that the club offers many opportunities for participation, such as queer-based trivia, drag make-up, movies, crafts, and guest speakers. “We try to find as many ways to entice youth ages 12 to 18 to join in and be a part of the club. And, of course, food draws everyone in,” says Brown.

Roro Gyles, a practicum student taking his diploma in Social Work through Selkirk college, is the co-facilitator of the peer-led Queer Club. He says, “As a practicum student, I believe that supporting this group could provide me with invaluable experience working with this specific population and an opportunity to impact young people’s lives positively. The group also promotes diversity and inclusion, which are essential for creating a more equitable and just society.”  

Gyles continues, “The youth queer club has also made strides in creating a sense of community and belonging. Group members have formed meaningful friendships, supported one another, and engaged in activities that promote personal growth and development. They have also been active in raising awareness about LGBTQ+ issues and advocating for the rights of marginalized communities.” 

“I had a wealth of knowledge I hoped to impart to the participants when I joined the program. However, they continue to amaze me each day, and I find myself learning from them instead. They constantly push boundaries and challenge me to think outside the box, with no signs of slowing down,” concludes Gyles. 

“My experience with the Queer Club has been in my capacity as a volunteer at the Youth Action Network,” says Mariano Rivera, a YAN volunteer. “I had never before participated in such an enriching experience where the youth have a space where they feel welcome, free of criticism and judgment. Where they can express their feelings without fear of rejection.”

Raising healthy and well-balanced youth today takes a village. More than just what the family can provide, a community can collaboratively support student wholeness. Everyone needs supportive people to help them evolve and adapt to the various challenges of growing up.

The interplay of families, communities, and opportunities creates social acceptance, civic responsibility, and personal resilience. The most critical of these traits for teens is resilience. Resilience is the ability to recover and functionally move forward from difficulties, negativity, or change. A significant aspect of resilience is self-concept. A person’s self-concept and self-confidence will serve them well if they are able to survive and come out stronger from life’s challenges. 

Self-concept is heavily influenced by one’s family, environment, school, and social group. Being accepted and appreciated by others fosters a healthy self-concept and, therefore, resilience. 

The Queer Club is at the YAN on Thursdays at 4:30 p.m. and is free to attend. Seven Summits Centre for Learning appreciates Brown’s time and countless volunteer hours with the Queer Club and celebrates the difference he makes for others in the community. 

Access to these services and clubs that are free from racism, sexism, and other forms of prejudice and discrimination is critical to helping students create resilience. Inclusive social groups that embrace and seek to support students can allow each participant to reach their full potential through understanding and acceptance. Leo is applauded for making a difference through volunteering and creating an opportunity for a community club that blends resilience, acceptance and fun in Rossland.

https://sevensummitslearning.com/communities-of-opportunities-creates-re...

Photos: